Responsibilities for the Preparation of VAT Returns
- You are legally responsible for making a correct VAT return, and for payment of VAT on time. Our appointment as agents does not absolve you from your statutory obligations.
- We shall be responsible for preparing your VAT returns from the records of your business. We shall not audit or otherwise check the underlying records. When the VAT return has been completed from the information supplied, we will send you the return form within 10 working days of the receipt of records. If you agree the return you should then sign and submit it to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) together with the required payment. If you consider the return to be incorrect please consult us immediately.
- You can authorise us to submit the return online on your behalf. In such circumstances you must return the signed form back to us in good time for the filing deadline to be met.
- Substantial penalties may arise if the filing deadline is not observed. It is therefore essential that we, as your agent, are supplied with all the relevant information in good time so that we can complete the return on your behalf.
- We accept no responsibility for any default surcharge that may arise if the books and records are not available to us within 10 days after the return period ends or the books and records prove to be incomplete or unclear, and in particular are not written up to the end of the period, thereby delaying the preparation and submission of the VAT return, or you fail to submit the return and any required payment to HMRC on time after we have sent the return to you for signature.
- We shall provide consultancy advice on VAT matters (such as specific transactions which are contemplated) as and when requested to do so by yourselves. Please advise us in good time of any proposed transactions. Tax legislation changes frequently and we would recommend that you ask us to review any advice already given if a transaction is delayed, or is to be repeated, or if an apparently similar transaction is to be undertaken.